PHP 5 is nowadays the default PHP versionused by hosting providers. Unfortunately, many hosting providers use older PHP 5 versions. The recommended version is PHP 5.5 but often PHP 5.3 is still being used. This version as well as PHP 5.4 is no longer supported by the PHP project. CSVI requires a minimum of PHP 5.4.
Here is how to check what PHP version your system is really using:
- Log in to the back end of your Joomla installation
- Go to System and click on System Information
- You will now see the basic information of your system
- Check your PHP version as circled in red on the image
- This is the PHP version your system is using. If this says PHP 5.4 or lower then it is time to ask your hosting provider how to update.